Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Congratulations Matt!

I must say, Matt is pretty awesome. He completed his 2nd Boston marathon with a time of 3 hours 48 minutes. We had a blast going from spot to spot cheering on our runners. What a fun crowd and environment to be in. Matt, just want you to know that I love you, and I think you are THE BOMB!Congratulations to all our running friends, Matt, Heather (Matt's sister), Carter, Amy, Heather, and Blake. You guys ROCK. Thanks for putting on a great show.If you have never been to a marathon, may I suggest you go. It is a fun and inspirational environment. There are people running with prosthetic legs, blind people, cancer survivors, wheel chair bound people, 80 years and older people and so many other amazing people with amazing stories. I will NEVER say I CAN'T run a marathon. If I chose not to run, it is not because I can't, but because I won't. I hope so bad to get into St. George in October. Below is a picture of a man and his son Dick and Rick Hoyt. Dick is 65 years old and has pushed and pulled his son across the country and over hundreds of finish lines. They do both marathons and full length Iron Mans. When Dick runs, Rick is in a wheelchair that Dick is pushing. When Dick cycles, Rick is in the seat-pod from his wheelchair, attached to the front of the bike. When Dick swims, Rick is in a small but heavy, firmly stabilized boat being pulled by Dick. I was able to see this amazing father son team run at the Boston Marathon. Talk about inspiration.

13 comments:

Karen said...

I am so proud of Matt and Heather! GOOD JOB you guys! I wish that we could have been there...looks like the whole trip was fun and successful! I loved the last post too, I can't believe you saw all those people...crazy!

The Johnson Family said...

Congrats Matt!!!! That is such a huge accomplishment, especially doing it twice.
It looks like you guys had a great time.
Brook

Alesha said...

So fun! And GOOD JOB MATT! that is really cool you got to see that guy and his son, I have heard about them. So neat!

Larson Reserve, LLC said...

Yeah Matt! Sounds like you had a good time. Way to go! -steph

Haley said...

Wow congrats Matt! He IS awesome!! I'm totally tearing up for that man and his son... thanks for an inspirational lift. And I hope you get in the St. George marathon too so I can see you.

Sarah said...

Way cool Matt... you are awesome. Hope to one day run in a Marathon. For now, I guess it is raising these kids of mine and getting Eric through this residency. Thanks for the inspiration. Love you guys.

The Bentley's said...

yah matt!!! that is amazing! my parnets both ran too!! my mom in 4:01 and my dad 3:40.... way to go matt.... and i hear the boston course is amazing peopel screaming down the streets the entire way!!! how fun! what an acomplishment!!

The Bentley's said...

p.s. that is so cool that you saw dick and his son!!! have you seen that awesome video on them?? he is an amazing dad wow!!

Sydney said...

Thanks for reminding me that I CAN run a marathon, I just choose not too! I really need to go and watch a marathon, I could use the humbling and motivation!

That's awesome that you got to see Team Hoyt! I've read their story with great awe and inspiration and I had no idea that they were still racing!

Great job Matt. 3 hours and 48 minutes, that's simply amazing!!

sara said...

Congratulations Matt!!
Michelle,
A while ago I did a post on a wonderful movie called "America's Heart and Soul". This movie portrays the beauty of americans of all kinds. That father/son team that did the marathon are featured in it. Rent it. You'll love the movie. I am amazed at the love and dedication that father has for his son. That's so cool you got to see them and be inspired by them in real life.

Congrats again!

Sticks and Stones said...

Wow - I want to add my (our) props to the Matt Baird Fan Club! Way to go guys. I think marathon training is a family effort - you guys have mastered it by now.

tj said...

Tell Matt congrats and that I wished I was there running with him!

thekerrclan said...

What a fun trip -- and how great for Matt to do so well in the marathon!