Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Road To San Antonio - The Madness is Back!

Tomorrow is the start of the NCAA tournament. It is one of my favorite times of the year to watch T.V. This is probably the only time of the year that the kids have to find something else to do other than watch television. For the next few weeks, as long as a game is on, there will be NO cartoons playing on the big screen. March Madness brings back so many fun college memories for me. I guess I could call it my glory days. I was and am a HUGE Univ. of Utah fan. I am always excited to tell everyone that I attended college back when Andre Miller, Keith Van Horn, and Michael Doleac played basketball for the Utes, back when they had a phenomenal team. One very memorable game was when Utah played Kentucky in the FINALS of the tournament in 1998 (when will the "U" ever make into the finals again!?). I was actually attending graduate school in Kansas that year. I had come home for spring break and was planning on heading back to school on Sunday. Well, I had to change all my flight plans and miss the first day of the new semester when Utah made it to the finals and the game was on Monday. I had to be hanging out with all my "U" college friends, in Utah, on game day. That was the MOST exciting game in history...in my opinion. The "U" was up the ENTIRE game until the last few minutes, when Kentucky came back to win! It never failed, for several years in a row, somehow, someway, the "U" and Kentucky ALWAYS met up in the tournament. And somehow, someway, Kentucky always won. Kentucky became known to me as the enemy. Well, this year, it won't happen. The "U's" glory days are in the past, and they didn't even make it to the tournament this year. Good luck in the Inaugural CBI though! Utah vs. UTEP in the first round tonight. But that won't stop Matt and I from enjoying all the other fun ball that begins tomorrow. My friend Carter has done a March Madness pool for 16 years. Good times. Thanks Carter! I have done it with him from the very first year, and the tradition continues. I might have taken 3rd once, but NEVER won. I think my picks are good too! So hopefully this is my year, but if not, I look forward to next year. Maybe Utah will be back. So who am I routing for? Well, I didn't pick them to make it past the second round, but wouldn't it be nice if BYU was the Cinderella team. Most likely not going to happen, so I played it safe and went with North Carolina! GO TAR HEELS! But my heart still belongs to Big Red.

2 comments:

tj said...

I'm sure Matt loves that you watch the games with him (except for when the kids need something). It brings back memories in Cleveland watching cycling races with Brandon and Matt. We miss you guys!

Haley said...

Michelle... I KNEW we were good friends! Matt and I compete against each other each year. I give him a run for his money because I just mainly pick from random! We'll be watching too...