Sunday, May 18, 2008

Oganization In My So Unorganized World

I feel so much better now the the toy room is organized. We have always had our toys in bins, and I have always tried really hard to keep them somewhat organized. Typically my kids are each allowed one bin each. As soon as they want a different set of toys or bin, they have to clean up and then I'll get a them new bin. This usually lasts for a good 2 weeks, before eventually all the bins are opened and scattered throughout the toy room and even the house. Then, I find myself cleaning the toy room instead of the kids, because I want the toys put away in an organized fashion. They are good cleaners, but they prefer to just put any and every toy in any bin. In my mind, each bin is designated to each set of toys. Well, in my attempt to make my kids organize and clean toys the way I like, Matt and I bought a few more bins and labeled them with words and pictures. I am hoping this will make my life a bit easier when it comes to cleaning the dreaded toy room. We'll see.

10 comments:

Sarah said...

GOod Luck on this one. I have tried and tried to keep my toys organized in bins and like you said lasts a few weeks before it is time to sort through them again and put back in the right spot. Let me know how it goes with the labels/pictures on the bin... that may just be the key.
When do you guys leave? Am I going to make it up there before you take off? Let me know.

Hazen5 said...

Good for you! I am very anal about my bins too!

Karen said...

Derek thought I was insane because of doing that same thing! It makes me happy to see you doing it as well! I also think that it works great...the kids help out with cleaning up, FINALLY!

Sydney said...

We have plastic bins too. We haven't labeled them, I'll have to try that. The boys do pretty well in putting the toys back in the proper bin but their father is a different story!!

loree2000 said...

Hope the new bins help!! :)

adrianne s. said...

Oh my, that is the smartest thing I have seen! No excuses now, right?

The Johnson Family said...

That looks great. I need to follow your example. My kids dont even attempt to put toys away, in fact Jace plays by dumping all the toys out.

Alesha said...

I love it! That is so great...I am the same way. I swear I have OCD about it. I like count Koen's toys and put them away in certain places. Maybe I should do what you have done! PS I swear I NEVER see you!

Sticks and Stones said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE LOVE this new look on your blog! My favorite of yours so far! SO adorable! Yes, I too have done the picture/word labels on the toy bins - funny how the preschooler can figure it out but dad can't. What's up with that??? I gave up on being organized there a long time ago, now, I am just happy if they are off the floor. Good job!

gregandlaura said...

Good idea!! I am curious to see if it works!