Friday, August 8, 2008

One World One Dream-Beijing 2008 Olympic Games

Did you see the opening ceremonies in the Bird's Nest! All I can say is WOW... AWESOME... SPECTACULAR. I guess when you have a 300 million dollar budget for opening ceremonies, nothing less should be expected. Matt and I love the Olympics , and although, sadly, it is also an event that brings propaganda, boycotts, political statements and discriminations, we try to focus on the Olympic spirit of honor, glory, fair play, friendship and peace. We love to watch world class athletes come together and compete in numerous events. Over 205 countries and 10,500 athletes will participate. Some of our favorite American hopefuls include Michael Phelps, who is aiming for 8 gold medals in swimming, Dara Torres who is competing in her 5th Olympics and is 41 years old and a new mom (also swimming), Dave Zabriskie (from Utah!) in cycling, and Shawn Johnson competing in gymnastics. Some of my personal favorite events include women's volleyball, canoe/kayaking, rowing, swimming and gymnastics. Can't wait to see how everything turns out. As I go out on my agonizing 13 mile run tomorrow AM, I'll just think of these athletes and the time and training they have put in to make it where they are. Just a few last words before the games begin......KICK BUTT USA!!!

12 comments:

The Johnson Family said...

I missed the opening ceremonies and would have loved to see it. Did you record it? I hope to be able to watch some of the events.

510Jen said...

I love it too! Gymnastics and diving are my two favorites!

The Brereton Family! said...

Michelle,

We too love the Olympics and the opening ceremonies were great. We are hoping for Michael Phelps to win the gold and I can't wait to watch diving, gymnastics and track and field. I love it when my kids catch the spirit and really get into it, rather than thinking it's boring.

Christy

The Vintage Vagablonde said...

13 miles..you go girl. I can barely jog-walk 2 miles, LOL
I missed most of last nights fanfare.
I was doing some much needed house work.
Looking forward to my Etsty banner:)

Carolee said...

I saw you at church this morning so it looks like you did survive your run. I am truly amazed!! I looked and there is a 5k in Oct. How sad is that, you run 13 miles and I am scared to do a 5k.

Hazen5 said...

Big Gymnastic Fans here! We eat and sleep Gymnastics, we can't get enough.

Alice said...

So I heard around church that you do the cutest things on your blog and I thought I'd come see. My family's second religion involves watching the Olympics. It is amazing what those athletes can do... and the opening ceremony. I was only able to watch a few short clips because we don't have tv yet. (I was moping for a few days, but I'll get over it). It looked beyond amazing. How do they even think up something that cool?

Rosander said...

Oh, I have loved this Olympics! It has been so much fun to watch and cheer on all of our favorites (Most of them are the same as yours).

adrianne s. said...

We have Olympic fever at our house, too! I love it and I am missing out on valuable sleep to make sure I am caught up with my favorite events! I expect to be cheering you on in the track and field events in London 2012! Enjoy your training!

Jenn Elton said...

I am Olympic obsessed too. Dan is basically a single dad when the Olympics are in session!

The Bentley's said...

we have been having soo much fun watching micheal phelps!! it's so fun to sit together as a fam and watch! go usa

Kandice said...

hey girlie. i'm having a giveaway stop by and check it out!