Sunday, December 2, 2007

Christmas In Chicago

If you ever have a chance to visit Chicago during the holidays, it is a MUST. On Saturday Matt and I left the kids with the babysitters and took the train into the city. Not only was it awesome just having a date day with my husband, but being in the city with the decorations, snow, and culture was so fun. This city knows how to do Christmas. We started out going to the Chicago Institute of Art to see the works of Picasso, Monet, Van Gogh, and so many other well known artists' work. Then we went to lunch. Next we visited the Christkindlmarket which is a charming German American market with German food including pastries, chocolate, and wiener schnitzels, German Christmas decorations like original handmade glass ornaments, that I am in love with, (I've included a few pix of my favorites that are now on my tree), advent calendars, etc. Just so fun and festive. Next we walked in the wet, slushy storm (but I loved every moment of it) to the famous Michigan Avenue. I like to call it Oprah town. AMAZING shopping. Of course, we didn't buy much, but to see the lights, window decorations, and people was so fun. Definitely a day to remember in Chicago.
We also got to take the kids on the "Polar Express" where we got to see Santa. The Metra train turns into the fun train on December weekends.I love this time of year. I love to see my kids get excited. I love the decorations. I love the feeling I get during this time of the year. I try so hard to remember the true meaning and always keep Christ in my mind.

8 comments:

Haley said...

Soooo fun! I'm glad you guys got to do that without the kids, to enjoy it a little more. I'm so sad we couldn't make it there to see it.

Matt and Adge said...

That looks like SO much fun! I bet you're sad to leave Chicago.

510Jen said...

How fun. YOU HAVE to take advantage living in that great city. Wish we could have come on that date with ya. Great pictures. Your kids are so cute.

GoatesGirl said...

The pictures are so fun. I don't miss the snow but I would LOVE to see the city this time of year...just for the day. Darling pic with Santa!

Vintage Indie said...

That sounded like a ton of fun! I really liked the second/third line about leaving the kids home with the sitter. I'm looking forward to my husbands christmas party this year just for that same reason! It's been a busy end of year!

Cheers!

:o)

The Larsons said...

This looks amazing! I dream about dates like this! :) I loved Chicago when I was there. Today it did snow...which made it feel more like Christmas. I really need to call you so I can have a cute blog! Expect a call soon! :)

katie said...

SO awesome! AMEN to Christmas in Chicago! I grew up in Illinois till I was 15 so we used to go up to Chicago alot and boy is a great city and boy is it COLD!! I guess we've all lived in Cleveland and now you are off to ERIE!! Maybe we will have to come see you and go to Splash Lagoon. My kids talk about that place ALL the time! Cute colors on your blog!

The Bentley's said...

how fun michelle!! your so lucky you can say you lived there. what a fun experience for you family! who know maybe you'll feel that way when you leave erie too:)??