Friday, September 19, 2008

St. George Marathon or BUST

Most of you know that I am training for the St. George Marathon which is in 2 weeks. Those of you who don't know, guess what, I'm training for the St. George Marathon which is in two weeks! Anyways, as my training come to and end and my long runs are tapering, I thought I'd share a few thoughts about training in Erie, PA. Training in Erie, PA is...interesting. Here are some of my favorites things about my runs:
1. the wind- it doesn't matter which direction I'm running, I'm always running in a head wind.
2. humidity- gotta love feeling all wet within a few feet of the beginning of a 10 mile run.
3. hills- yup, up hill both ways. I never knew Erie was so hilly!
4. road kill- how do I make the time pass on the long run? Count road kill. Living out in the
"county"I have seen dead raccoon, Canadian geese (an entire family), squirrels, muskrats, ground hogs, cats (sad), frogs, snakes, skunks, mice, birds, and probably more, I just didn't know what they were after being run over so many times.
5. dogs chasing me-these country dogs sure protect their property.
6. dog bites- Yes, one of those dogs chasing me finally got me. It actually just happened this past Tuesday. I think it is the first time I have cussed in... well, several years. It did draw blood, but I am fine.
7. Dodging grasshoppers-Where do these things come from? They breed like rabbits. There are days that I spend my running making sure I don't step on grasshoppers. I DO NOT want grasshopper guts all over my new Asics.

Yes, running in Erie is very eventful. But there have been many highlight too like running in the Presque Isle 1/2 marathon, finishing an 18 mile run and feeling good, and getting in shape (I didn't say lose weight, just getting in shape).

Ready or NOT (emphases on the NOT), here I come St. George. What's my goal time: just to finish. Here's a look at the marathons elevation map. I'm LOV'IN the down hill!

20 comments:

Julie said...

I am so jealous! Not that you are running a marathon (I think that is awesome, but not for someone in my condition!) but that you are going to St. George. All of my family lives there! Can I hide in your suitcase and come with you? Good luck! My Grandparents used to live on the marathon route. I remember sitting in their front yard with the hose and spraying the people who wanted to cool off a little on their run. It was always fun to cheer the runners on. Hope you have fun!

Matt and Adge said...

wow, Michelle...i'm SO impressed! Good Luck!!

Aaron and Niki Ganz said...

Good luck on your run Michelle! Hope you do well!

The Brereton Family! said...

You go Michelle, That is awesome! I just started running myself and am getting the runners bug. Good luck!

Sarah said...

YOU ROCK GIRL!!! I hope to one day do a marathon when I can get a little bit more time to myself and have a husband back. GOOD LUCK. I'll be thinking of you running your guts out while I am vegging with my fat prego belly eating bon bons. LOve ya. Oh BTW. . . looks like the first week in Nov. is when my boys have school off= what do you think of us heading up there? Let me know.

tj said...

You will do so good-it will be a breeze if you are used to training on hills. Is Matt running it too?

510Jen said...

Michelle I am impressed. You will do great. Do you think you will train for another one?

Good luck can't wait to see how everything goes!

Alesha said...

I totally should have ran it with you! Remember we talked about it! Someone suggested I may be pregnant and here I am NOT and NOT running! LAME!

Carolee said...

Good luck!! You are awesome:)

Rosander said...

Oh good luck that is so awesome! You'll do so awesome. and I can't wait to hear all about it!

Hazen5 said...

Good for you Michelle! Better you than me J/K!

Haley said...

Can't wait! I'll be cheering you on... from the sidelines! Maybe I'll get enough courage to do that someday.

sara said...

I'm so impressed at how you made a decision last year to do it and now you are following through with that decision. Your example of determination really motivates me. Good luck. Can't wait to see the pictures!

GoatesGirl said...

YEAH! You will do awesome. I'm so excited for you. Can't wait to hear about it. I'm trying to make it there cuz my sis is running it too. If I do we'll have to meet up again. Good luck, you'll be awesome and it's such an incredible thing...I loved & hated it!

Just be...... said...

Good luck!!! St. George is one of my favorite marathons!It really is mostly down hill. Advil at mile 10 is always a good thing, because your knees do take a beating.
The crowds are soooo awesome too!

Blatter said...

Good luck with the marathon! I think that is so awesome! Your road kill experiences were pretty funny.

adrianne s. said...

Good luck although it sounds like you have trained well enough that you don't need any luck! Ouch! I can't believe you were bit by a dog! I hate grasshoppers- they hurt when they fly into you.

Sydney said...

You will do awesome! Good luck!

Sticks and Stones said...

Good Luck this weekend - we were hoping to head down but London has a football game so i think we will stay here. Let's talk about my blog after your back - when you have time. I think I'll go to a Christmas design, even though it's early. (carol). Just whenever you have time is great. Have fun and we wish we could be there to see you all and cheer you on! You'll be awesome!

Morgan Greaves said...

Good luck Michelle! Can't wait to see your post about completing the marathon. By the way I love your header...it is the cutest thing ever!